سال نو بر همه مبارک
If you didn’t already know, I am Persian (Iranian) and I am really proud of my culture and heritage. I wanted to do this giveaway so that others can learn about one of our traditions – the celebration of our new year.
We Persians have our own calendar, and today is the first day of our new year, called Nowruz! Its the year 1392 in our calendar!
Its also the first day of Spring in western calendars, which to me makes more sense, than new year being the 1st January! It has been celebrated for over 3000 years by Iranians and other related cultures all over the world. It is celebrated by all Iranians, whether you are Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian or Athiest. You can read more about Nowruz here.
At Nowruz we lay out special decorations on a table, which all mean specific things and all begin with the letter “S” from the Persian alphabet (“Haft-Sin“) Haft means “7” and Seen refers to the letter “S“. Other things such a mirror, the holy book, sweets and candles are also displayed. The 7 prizes in this giveaway all relate to the “S” items – here is what they are and what they mean:
1) Somagh – a dried red berry which symbolizes the colour of sunrise – I have picked MAC Coppering eye shadow as I thought the colour is just like sunrise.
2) Sekkeh – gold coins to symbolizes wealth and prosperity – so MAC Goldmine shadow seemed like a great choice!
3) Senjed – a dried fruit from the lotus tree – this symbolizes love, and so this adorable heart shaped lipstick from M&S seemed fitting!
4) Sib – red apples which represent health and love. I liked this lip butter from Revlon in Red Apple!
5) Sabzeh – green shoots from wheatgrass or lentils represents rebirth and spring, when I saw this green nail polish from Barry M in Spring Green it seemed to be the perfect fit!
6) Serkeh – vinegar which symbolizes aging. Now, no-one wants to age so I picked this anti-aging serum from Eve Lom.
7) Sonbol – thy hyacinth which is a spring flower. This was so hard to buy for (trust me, there are no hyacinth beauty products out there!) but this lovely candle from Laura Ashley in Summer Meadow contains hyacinth as well as other flowers. Not quite on point, sorry!
I have also added an extra prize which is a little trinket box which is hand made and is called Khaatam. Its perfect for earrings and rings
All the prizes together:
I love celebrating Nowruz, we give each other gifts, spend time as a family and of course its a second chance to have a go at any failed new years resolutions from January! (well, for me it is!)
I hope you like this giveaway, have a learnt a little bit more about Nowruz and the Persian culture.
Happy Nowruz everyone!
You can win all of the prizes above by entering using the methods below.
This is an international giveaway and will close on the 7th April.